Make quarantine fun and adventurous with our new DIY craft kits! Introducing the Sew Your Own Skyline Pillow kit. Hand sew an 8x8 fleece pillow in the Cleveland, Paris, or New York skyline.
Parental guidance is advised for children under 6.
-1 Skyline Motif 8x8 Pre-cut Fleece (front)
-1 8x8 Pre-cut Fleece (back)
-White Embroidery Floss
-Step by Step Instructions
WHAT YOU NEED
- LAY OUT PILLOW PIECES: Included in the kit are 2 8x8 pieces of fabric. First, grab the white fleece piece. This is the back. You will be sewing the skyline piece to the white fleece piece. Next, take the skyline piece of fabric. Note the front and back of the fabric. The front skyline is dark and vibrant; the back is solid white and has black dots around the edges.
Take the front of the skyline piece and place to face down ontop of the white piece. They should line up on each corner and the skyline should be facing down, with the back side of the fabric facing out.
- THREAD YOUR NEEDLE: Cut an arm’s length of thread and thread it through the needle. At the edge of one needle, knot the thread 2 times to make a thick knot. Note: the thread does not need to be double thickness. There should be about 5 inches of thread folded through the needle, the rest will be a single layer.
- SEW SEW SEW: Starting at the bottom of the pillow, where the stitch dots start/end (there is about a 3 inch space of no dots), thread your needle through. Be sure to pull on the first stitch to make sure the knot does not come out. Thread your needle in and out at each dot on the fabric. When you approach a corner, pivot your fabric and continue sewing along each side.
When you complete stitching around the entire pillow, slide your needle halfway through the fabric. Wrap the thread clockwise around the needle 2 times, then pull the needle through completely. Stitch in the same spot one more time. This will create a knot and lock in the knot.
- TRIM THREADS: Trim the threads on the bottom of the pillow.
- INVERT THE PILLOW: Next, slide your hand through the opening that was left in the pillow and turn the pieces right sides out. Use your fingers to push out the each corner.
- STUFF THE PILLOW: Grab the fiber-fill and stuff the pillow. Push the fiber-fill to each of the corners and center of the pillow until it feels firm.
- SEW THE BOTTOM SHUT: Cut another piece of thread. Thread and knot like in step 2. Starting at where the pillow was not sewn, thread the bottom. Instead of sewing in and out like in step 3, sew the bottom up and down. The thread will show minimally. Loop the bottom so it is captured in every up and down stitch. Sew until the bottom is closed.
When you complete stitching around the bottom, slide your needle halfway through the fabric. Wrap the thread clockwise around the needle 2 times, then pull the needle through completely. Stitch in the same spot one more time. This will create a knot and lock in the knot.
- ENJOY AND SHARE: Your canvas is complete! Share your colorful creation with us at @annecate. Stay creative and adventurous.
WARNING: Needle is sharp and can puncture skin. Anne Cate is not liable for any injuries from kit. Not suitable for children under 4. Parent supervision is advised.